Clarence Students First and WNY Students First would like to issue a statement regarding the Clarence District Board Meeting on 8/30/21.
1. No one at the Board of Education meeting on 8/30 was speaking on behalf of Clarence Students First. When a member or leader is representing the group, they will announce themselves as such.
2. Pete Harding is in no way affiliated with Clarence Students First, Western New York Students First, or any Students First organization in any district.
3. WNY Students First does not encourage or condone nonresidents speaking at Board of Education meetings in Clarence or any other district.
4. WNY Students First is a nonpartisan group that is not for or against masking. We support a parent's right to choose for their child. Students First supports all parent voices.
5. WNY Students First has spoken with the Clarence Superintendent about the issue. It was obvious to anyone in attendance at the board meeting that Mr. Harding's tone and demeanor was different from the rest of the speakers.
6. The behavior of certain actors who stand against parent voices, parent action, and parent choice in Clarence in the past year has been immature and spiteful. It goes against common decency, it damages the growth of our community, and it is inappropriate. Trust, integrity, and accountability are the key to a healthier, more inclusive district.
Western New York Students First is a group for parents, caregivers, teachers, and school district stakeholders across the region working toward the common goal of giving students and families an organized and active voice regarding the education of students within their districts.